There are 7 sefiros which are the seven midos that Hashem uses, the more we develop them the more similar we become to Hashem, and then we have proper receptors for the Torah.
1- Chesed 2- Gevurah 3- teferes 4- netzach 5- hod 6- yesod 7- Malchos
Chesed- outpouring of goodness
- Hashem takes care of us, our hearts beat, we breath.
- we should look out for other people, be an active doer, see how you can help others, what do they need.
- Avraham was proactive in Chesed, he built his tent with 3 doors so people can find him from all over.
Gevurah- strength, an inner strength to control myself
- When we deserve punishment Hashem gives us a chance to improve, Hashem wants to do for you, but he holds himself back so that you can learn to make bechira choices and develop your self.
- we should hold ourselves back and don't respond in an inappropriate way to people pushing our buttons.
- Yitzchak by the Akeda restrained himself so that he won't stop the knife.
Teferes- glory, beauty, Emes, Harmony, well balanced.
- Hashem has chesed and gevurah, balance, knowing when to give and when to restrain.
- We have to have a balance within our personality when to do and when to hold back. Emes- everything is correct, being true to ourselves. Having integrity and consistency- being the same wherever we our.
- Yaakov, when he lived with Yitzchak he was a tzadik then when he lived with lavon he didn't compromise his principals. He didn't have an easy life, in all the situations he though of what is the Emes thing to do.
- Hashem doesn't just decide what is good now, but rather long term, what is good for me as a person.
- When we make choices in our day we should see if it will get us to our goal. Don't give up cause long term we will see its good for us.
(Ex: we clean the house for a pleasant environment. While cleaning the floor, a kid comes home all muddy, you are about to get angry and scream- that becomes an unpleasant environment. You loose the Netzach, you have to think for the purpose- Pleasantness. See how much diff will it make long term.)
a) learn about the complexity of the human body- so not stuck in the moment
b) meditate about own past history- brought to where you are now
c) meditate about yourself standing with everyone in your community then broaden the picture more to all people of Bnei Ysiroel then broaden it to everyone in the world, then imagine all the galaxies -- This gives us a broader picture.
- Moshe gave us the torah with instructions on how to put eternal meaning into every moment of life.
Hod- glory, thankfulness, admit. When we are thankful we feel the glory in the object.
- Notice the small goodness others or Hashem are doing in my life- feeling thankful, Hakaras Hatov- recognizing the good.
- necessity- when we have something we don't feel the joy but when there's a lack we feel the pain. Luxury- when we don't have something we have no pain, but when we get it then there's joy. The more stuff we claim are luxuries then the more joy we will have in our life.
a) Say thanks to people for the small things they do.
b) when we say brachos think about all the work that went into each piece of cake.
c) When hashgacha pratis happens say a perek of tehillim
d) when see a beautiful scenery it should be a motivation and acknowledge Hashem.
e) keep a journal of the HP in your life
- Aharon saw the goodness in others so then there was peace.
Yesod- basic foundation.
- a)eating, sleeping- physical- vivid, real immediate, don't last, only there at the moment. b) aesthetic pleasure - beautiful music, paintings, scenery, doesn't change who I am as a person unless we use the motivation to change ourselves. c) connection- relationship with others or Hashem. (a baby needs this deepest level, needs touch) this is Yesod of who we are, we seek a connection with Hashem.
- make sure the connection between males and females is spiritual. Men- Shmiras Ainayim. Woman- how much are we calling outside attention to ourselves, have a consideration for others, we don't want to create a temptation that he doesn't want. have a sense of self from the inside.
- Yosef had the biggest temptation, he was interested, it was so difficult to control himself, but he held himself back, he used the image of his father, someone he respected so much, and then asked himself how would he feel in front of him if he acted this way. We should think of a role model and how we would feel in front of his person if we acted this way.
Malchos - kingship
- focus on making Hashem my king in every moment of the day, feel His presence in everything I do.
- Hashem is pouring a shefa of life experiences we go thru, we should take these life experiences and filter them thru the torah, how would the torah want us to deal with it. If not the torah then the eyes of a Rabbi. Whatever is being poured down the goal is to crown hashem with it, elevate it to make hashem my king thru this life Experience
- Dovid had life challenges, he teaches Benei Yisroel to do Yeshuva thru that, he composed tehilim, how to make Hashem Melech in every life experience.
The next day is shevuous when we are ready to receive the torah, which tells us how to connect with Hashem in every life experience.